Get a golf Handicap Index in 3 easy steps
1) Sign up for a USGA GHIN Number
USGA GHIN (Golf Handicap and Information Network, pronounced “jin”) is a handicapping computational service provided by the USGA through authorized associations and clubs. A golfer must belong to a golf club to obtain a USGA Handicap Index after which they will get a GHIN Number.
Your unique GHIN number gives you the ability to post scores from which your Handicap Index is calculated.
- You can get a GHIN number by joining a golf “club” such as the men’s or women’s club at a local golf course, or one at your workplace or community. Join.
- Don’t want to join a club? Find an Associate Club through WA Golf. Associate members receive a GHIN number with their online club membership.
2) Start posting your scores
Once you have your GHIN number you can post your scores through one of three ways:
- The USGA GHIN app on your mobile device. The app lets you post your scores, calculate course handicap, view score history and more. The app features touch-point GPS for thousands of golf courses worldwide. Download the free app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Online at wagolf.org/post
- At the golf course posting terminal after your round is played
Scores should be posted as soon as possible after your round on the day it was played.
3) Post three 18-hole rounds
A minimum of three 18-hole or six 9-hole scores posted are all that’s needed to calculate and establish your Handicap Index! The more often you post your score, the more accurate your handicap.